Getting to know a stranger

Project 1. The Ice Breaker
Time:4 - 6 minutes
Objectives:To begin speaking before an audience.
To discover speaking skills you already have and skills that need some attention
To introduce yourself to your fellow club members.

*******************************************************************************************************************

Good day to each and everyone. It is amazing as how the small world is considering a simple person like me is now giving a chance to showcase myself, and I supposed we are eventually destined to meet at this occasion.

All of us started off as strangers and for us to enjoy this world we should introduce ourselves to others, and if they found you a true person then you might have what we call a friend.

I found a new family in Katong Toastmaster a month ago and for this I want to introduce myself for them to know me better.

I am Roann May Agcaoili Kuan, 27 years of age and a natural born Filipino. I was born in the province of Bambang Nueva Vizcaya, Philippines. I am the eldest daughter of Mr. Romualdo Asperin Kuan and Mrs. Arneth Agcaoili Kuan. I have 3 siblings namely Roxanne Marie, Romualdo Jr and Ramon Michael.


I was raised by my grandparents because at that time my parents are still young and busy with their careers. My mother works as a Financial Analyst and my father as Staff Engineer in Department of Transportation and Communication in Philippines. I took up Bachelor of Science in Accountancy at Emilio Aguinaldo College and Bachelor of Science in Commerce major in Financial Accounting at Far Eastern University.


My life was a simple life until year 2008 a friend of mine introduced me to Singapore. At that time I’m a Payroll Master in a petroleum company when she asked me to try my luck here. I didn’t think twice I quit my job and flew here in Singapore not knowing what lies ahead. The first feeling when I step on in this country was so amazing seeing different places, people and foods. I was so amazed, but reality strikes after a week of enjoying the country I was alone away from home and my family.

I had difficulties with household chores that I don’t usually do. I don’t know how to cook, wash my clothes and iron it. My friends have been a helping hand and my friend YouTube has always been there when I’m still starting to learn how to cook. Then slowly I learn how to live on my own. After a month I got a job as an Accounts Officer in a Courier company that’s when I realized the value of money that I spend only on things I needed or necessary because I know that every single cent of my earnings came from my blood and sweat. I’m already okay with my career until mid of 2011 I had an opportunity that I can’t resist even though it’s takes a big risk in my career. A multinational company offers me a job but with a big risk, I need to cancel my existing pass before they apply a new one. I took the risk thinking opportunity knocks only once and I don’t want to miss it.

But luck is not on my side that time: my pass was rejected and I didn’t have a choice but to go home. I spent 7 months in Philippines jobless, I was already thinking to find a job and just settle down there, but my mind was set to come back and try my luck again. Early this year, I returned to Singapore after 7 months to try my luck and the rest is history. I don’t have any regrets with what happened. I might have fallen but I learned how to stand up.

What’s important is I learned from my mistakes and because of that, I might have lost something but now I gained more. All of us don’t know what lies ahead with our lives, but as for me I’m just enjoying what life has to offer.

- contributed by new member Roann Kuan

Comments

  1. Roann, you have gone through the school of hard knocks and have come out better for it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Do contact Cherylene (VP Public Relations) at +65 9012 3661 for more details.

Popular posts from this blog

PRESIDENT'S OPENING ADDRESS 20 JAN 2011

3 TIPS ON USING ALLITERATIVE TRIADS

International Speech and Table Topics Contest 2017