Snippets from the Harmony convention

As a Toastmaster, its likely you have heard the encouraging feedback about the recently concluded Semi- Annual convention 2013, held on 16th November, with more than 500 delegates in  the ballroom of Chui Huay Lim Club.

Organizing Team Leader, DTM Yeo Chai Tun, said he could possibly write a book based on
the teams encounters in the journey . He suggested the idea that his committee members
could script their experiences as speeches.

Here I am, a good team mate to them and they to me.

I walked into my first meeting with the Harmony committee on 11 May,  a Saturday morning.
It was held in District 80 Governor, Pradeep Kumars work office.  I was a new face among the heavyweight officers . I knew the role as one of the committee members in this district convention would offer valuable insights. I accepted the marathon challenge for myself.

The countdown of months and weeks saw  our Sunday meetings drag longer as the report pages were ever increasing . We put our hearts and minds to make the impossible $50.00 per ticket a possibility.  As the saying goes, "The rest is history". Dignitaries were there to declare the opening of the convention with a "lion" pouncing on the stage . Delegates were mesmerized  by global and quality speakers. Everyone brought home a fun-filled welcome pack and enjoyed 4 servings of buffet meals.

These snippets of memories are not exhausted by the reports in my email box or the array of
activities that had me sleeping through the next day, recharging my body and mobile.

I believe a team of mountain climbers who has conquered the highest peak would share metamorphic experiences. Here, I would like to sum up my experiences in 3 points that brought me to the next peak:

Firstly, there was spontaneity from every one in the team. Every call for action was followed up by the right person within our whatsapp group.

Secondly, it was awesome to witness a miracle - watching Stephanie Fam, who suffers from  cerebralpalsy, presenting on stage and transforming into a star. She was held by her guardian angel Division A Governor, DTM Carolyn Street during her 10-minutes speech .  At the end of her inspiring speech, her dream came true. There was a standing ovation. She had touched the hearts of the audience with her honest sharing.  This 28- year-old special lady had unknowingly made men and women teary. Stephanie thanked DG Pradeep for the path created for her to prove that she is a gift to the world.

Thirdly, I saw how each one in the team was ready to compromise to fit into each others shoes to make the story a whole successful one.


It is great to be where leaders make success happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRESIDENT'S OPENING ADDRESS 20 JAN 2011

3 TIPS ON USING ALLITERATIVE TRIADS

International Speech and Table Topics Contest 2017