PRESIDENT'S OPENING ADDRESS 17 FEB 2011

Enjoying the "Ups" and "Downs" of Life

Since I took over the role as President of Katong Toastmasters Club (Katong TMC) in June last year, life has been a roller coaster ride.


I remembered when the previous Executive Committee members met at Joni’s house (who was the President at that time) to discuss the new team to lead the Katong Toastmasters Club, I was initially hesitant but was finally persuaded by the members to be the next President for Katong TMC. I was also assured of the continued support of the members who were present there. However, I made a “mistake” by failing to ask the members the most important question before I agreed to take up the post: “How long would you be committed to support me?”

Over the next few weeks, we had at least half of the members quitting the club for various reasons. Immediately, I fell from a “high” (having just been appointed to an important post) to a “low”. The survival of the club was my immediate concern. My commitment as President was wavered and I began to doubt my “intelligence” in taking up the role.

At the peak of my worry, out of the blue, we had four visitors who came along for one of our Chapter meeting and took up membership immediately with us. This was a tremendous boost to my morale and soon my optimism was again on the way “up”. Over the next few months, I continued to experience the “ups” and “downs” as I tried to ensure the monthly Chapter meetings go on smoothly and the remaining members stay committed to help to steer the club through rough times.

Through these 8 months as President of Katong TMC, I have learnt and grown in the process and my life experience has been enriched as a result. Despite having to deal with the challenges of running a toastmasters club, I am beginning to enjoy my role more.

"Ups and downs, all part of life, just like roses and thorns, I have come to love them all" (Osho)

Comments

  1. hi Nik,
    thanks for sharing your ups and downs with us. we all go through it and i'm glad you've stuck with it despite all the challenges and tough times. We're not quitters, we're stayers! thanks for being such a big part of my journey in katong.
    Joni

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Do contact Cherylene (VP Public Relations) at +65 9012 3661 for more details.

Popular posts from this blog

PRESIDENT'S OPENING ADDRESS 20 JAN 2011

3 TIPS ON USING ALLITERATIVE TRIADS

International Speech and Table Topics Contest 2017