Language Evaluation 18 Feb 2011

BRICKBATS:

Grammar:
(1) We don't have any relatives that we can go.
We don't have any relatives whom we can visit.

(2) ... a lot of thing to catch up to do
a lot of work to catch up on

(3) OK lah
It was fine. / That's alright.

(4) He was so impressive because I had so many days to do my practice.
He was so impressed because I had many days of practice.

(5) I was so nervous that I cannot remember anything.
I was so nervous that I could not remember anything.

(6) My mind went blank upon so many eyes staring at me.
Seeing so many eyes staring at me, my mind went blank.

Vocabulary:
(1) Good evening guys
Good evening, fellow toastmasters, ladies and gentlemen

(2) It's very ordinary but still very impressed
It's ordinary but heartwarming

(3) ... even when life is giving you shit
... even when life presents you with insurmountable obstacles

(4) We are going to continue on with ...
We are going to continue with...

(5) leave a deep and impactful in the viewers' mind
leave a deep impression in the viewers' minds

(6) It's also a city very very nice
It's a beautiful city.

(7) I'm here to improve my communicate with people.
I'm here to improve my communication skills.

(8) Your posture is not relaxing enough.
Your posture is not relaxed enough.

Pronunciation:
(1) precedence /ˈprɛsɪdəns/ [pres-i-duhns]

(2) clothes /kloʊz, kloʊðz/ [klohz, klohthz]


BOUQUETS:

Alliteration:
(1) facts and figures
(2) serious and solemn
(3) calm and confident

Rhyme (assonance):
(1) legendary, revolutionary
(2) really, truly

Metaphor:
(1) ushered in a new wave of handphone innovations

Contrast:
(1) She is someone who loves sunshine but loathes the heat...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRESIDENT'S OPENING ADDRESS 20 JAN 2011

3 TIPS ON USING ALLITERATIVE TRIADS

International Speech and Table Topics Contest 2017